Hello friends, it has been snowing this morning in UK and since then it has been freezing outside. During days like these I like to relax and cook something warm, quick with ingredients I have on the fridge. Those days remind me when my grandmother prepared delicious soups with simple, basic ingredients to produce that perfect comfort flavour. So today I cooked one of my favourite classic soups like the creamy tomato soup but added carrots (and you know me there is no butter or cream – just olive oil). The final taste of this tomato soup is a smooth texture and sweet flavour not acidic at all because of the carrot and to add some freshness I added some dried mint which really makes the difference. On the top, I added some bread croutons aromatized with olive oil and dried mint to add some crunch to the soup.
Serves 2 people
Cooking time:35 minutes
To make this delicious creamy tomato soup you will need:
3 medium-sized carrots
2 medium-sized fresh tomatoes
1 can of fresh plum tomatoes (400gr)
1/4 of a medium-sized red onion
1 clove of garlic
4 slices of bread (I used the Baguette)
Fresh Basil (optional)
1. First of all, cut the onion, the garlic and the carrots into small pieces, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and cook everything together on a deep sauce pan on low heat until they are soft.
2. Then add the chopped fresh tomatoes and cook all the ingredients for about 5 minutes.
3. After that, add the can of plum tomatoes, the salt and some dried mint and some leaves of fresh basil (you can add oregano or black pepper or whatever spice you like) in the sauce pan and cook for about 20 minutes.
4. Once everything is cooked blend until you have a creamy tomato soup.
5. On the top I added some croutons which you can make by simply cutting the bread into small cubes on a tray then adding a drizzle of olive oil and any spice you like then cook them in the oven (I used the grill option) until slightly brown. And that’s it, all you need now is just a spoon and some time to relax.
I really hope you will like this creamy tomato soup recipe and give it a go especially during these cold and grey days of winter. I think what makes a recipe special is those few basic ingredients which are easy to find and never hide the original flavour. 🙂
We will see you on the next recipe!